Sunday, August 5, 2012
Where is there for this inner an outer?
Upon which hurt does one lay such fine linen?
And which heavens are reflected within them, upon the interior seas of these open roses, these carefree ones; see:
how loose in looseness
they lie, as if a trembling hand
could never tip them over.
They can hardly hold themselves
erect; many allow themselves
be filled all too full and flow
over from inner space
into the days, which, ever
more and more full, close in upon themselves,
until the entire summer becomes
a chamber, a chamber in a dream.
Rainer Maria Rilke, the Inner Rose
Thursday, May 31, 2012
My love/hate relationship with Holland is not a well-kept secret. In the early days, after the excitement wore off and there was no backing out, I made lists of things I liked about Holland to psyche myself out of scraping the whole experiment.
Here are a few of those things:
- Bikes & biking everywhere
- Convenient shopping with cheap, high-quality wine!
- Safe, clean public environment (spittle, dog poop and graffiti not withstanding)
- Public transportation (four years without a car)
- Inexpensive health insurance and care ( a double-edged sword)
- Direct/No-nonsense communication (also a double-edged sword)
- The sacredness of vacation
- The sharing of domestic duties (A Dutch partner worth his weight in gold)
Thanks, Dear Aileen, for getting me back on track.
Sunday, January 29, 2012