For Americans who are Kennis Migrants (Knowledge Migrants) on the 30% ruling, a valid state driver’s license can normally be exchanged for a Dutch license. Of course, the process is bureaucratic, so, just like in the
I recently received my Rijbewijs through the city of
- Request an application form, the cost is a little over 20 Euro
- Fill out the form. This requires a sign-off from your doctor (huisarts)
- Send it to the proper authority,CBR. There are several bureaus involved in the process
- Receive a letter of approval in the mail to present to the gemeente
- Present the letter to the gemeente and pay a little over 40 Euro, receive green paper receipt. Keep this receipt to retrieve your license when it arrives at the gemeente. You will be asked to surrender your old license.
- Wait for another letter, from the RDW, stating that you can pick up your license at the gemeente in 5 business days.
- Go pick up your license, bring your green paper along