Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What I learned from Lumosity




Lumosity is my daily brain game. As with anything requiring effort, there are parts I like and parts I don’t like. There are games that I am good at, I like those. There are some that I suck at, I do not like those. Lately, I have been paying particular attention to my self talk about the various games. I heard myself saying “I hate this game, I am terrible at it.” Or “I love this game, it’s my favorite!”  Then I decided to try an experiment. For the games I hate, I started to say, “Oh I love this game!” What do you think has begun to happen with my brain scores? Yep, you guessed it. I am getting better at the sucky games. Not only that, but, I am also improving on the games that I am already good at. It has a double affect!

And then,  decided to try this trick on myself for other areas of life.  First, I started to listen more closely to the negative chatter rattling around my head and then I began to redirect the conversation towards a more positive internal interaction. For example, when I recently heard myself saying, “you are going to flop, you are not prepared”, which is really a big lie, I reminded myself that I have been preparing for three weeks and even though, I don’t feel ready, I am prepared and I am going to kill it. What do you think has started to happen? Yep, you guessed it. I am starting to see a more awesome self! Try it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment